Sunday, February 04, 2007

Supernatural - love those Winchester Boys


Supernatural has definitely become my most current 'must see' TV show. Eric Kripke has created a masterpiece, a wonderful combination of great story telling and intricately woven characters that drive those stories.

Dean and Sam Winchester are two of the best characters to come along, IMHO in very long time. The dynamic between them as two brothers, opposite in personality but united in the same cause, is simply fascinating to watch.

I am a longtime fan of 'buddy' shows from the days of Adam-12, Emergency, Starksy & Hutch, to Jack and Daniel from SG1(the early years of SG1) and Clark and Lex(before they hated each other) on Smallville. I am also rare I think in I like female buddy shows as well, Cagney & Lacey, Kate & Allie and male/female buddy shows like Hunter and The X-Files( before shippiness got in the way)

But I'm a fan of only certain type of buddy interaction, there has to be the right elements and I have to see chemistry between the characters electrifying the screen. And if Sam and Dean get anymore electric with the chemistry, we won't need power companies any more.

And I don't mean electric in the sexual sense. One of the things that I like best about these two characters is that they are not just friends, they are brothers. They have a genuine love for each other as brothers. Sometimes they don't like each other very much, but they always love each other.

I have to admit my favorite is Dean Winchester. What can I say, I like the tough guy, with the wiscracks, the cynicism and the compassionate gentle heart under it all(the only time this ever changed was with Jack and Daniel from Stargate. I started out liking Jack the most, but ended up completely enamored of Daniel Jackson). I like that Dean looks after Sam and has this fierce devotion to his little brother, even if he doesn't always understand what motivates Sam. I like that sometimes Sam doesn't even realise the power he has over Dean because of this protective streak. That Dean is willing to charge into the fires of evil and danger if Sam says he knows for sure there is danger or evil to fight against.

I like Sam Winchester too. He's not without his quirks, his strong and tough side. And he is equally devoted to looking after Dean. Willing to risk anything to protect his brother as well.

I like the easy banter that Dean and Sam have between them, but also like that they can have serious discussions and admit shortcomings and fears to each other. Sometimes it takes a bit for that to happen, but they are each other's support system (something that IMHO went AWOL between Jack and Daniel as SG1 went on and they were reduced to just making witty banter at each other). I like the gentle teasing, the knowing which buttons to push in the other to get them going. I like how Dean and Sam can come at things from two different perspectives and make it work like magic.

I also like the stories they get involved in. The dangers, the challenges, the emotional issues they face.

I just really love those Winchester boys.

No comments: